Aerial Stretching - How to Begin?
What is Aerial Stretching?
Aerial stretching is a term coined by the aerial community, and there isn't a single cohesive definition. In reality, everyone might understand something different by this term. However, the good news is that over time, as the topic's popularity grows, a dominant definition might emerge.
At this moment, aerial stretching can be understood in two ways:
- Stretching on hammocks – stretching exercises aimed at increasing flexibility and mobility, performed on yoga hammocks.
- Stretching under aerial – specialized stretching exercises intended to increase the range of motion necessary for engaging in aerial activities.
Both types of stretching can serve the same purpose (e.g., hammock exercises can prepare you for aerial silks training), but aerial stretching generally refers to these two concepts.
Where to Practice Aerial Stretching?
The answer partly depends on how you perceive aerial stretching and what you expect from such stretching. If you're interested in embarking on the journey of aerial dance, understood as aerial silks, additional stretching classes might not be essential. Why? Aerial sessions usually consist of several components, including stretching. This means that training under the guidance of a good instructor will naturally expand your range of motion since it's planned. So, you'll naturally experience progress. If you wish to dedicate more time to stretching, you can always perform stretching exercises on your own. Some fitness clubs even offer separate classes solely focused on stretching.
Another good idea is to enroll in aerial yoga, which partially relates to the first definition of aerial stretching. In aerial yoga, similar to regular yoga, a significant amount of time is dedicated to stretching the body, enhancing range of motion, and flexibility. Despite various styles of yoga, stretching is undoubtedly a fundamental aspect of this practice. Additionally, using a hammock facilitates achieving the essence of what's essential in stretching. Positions can be deepened more effectively compared to traditional asanas, and overcoming the fear of inverted poses becomes significantly easier.
What Does Aerial Stretching Provide?
Aerial stretching offers similar benefits to regular stretching, although the use of a hammock might yield slightly faster results. What benefits can you expect? If you're considering aerial dance, the primary advantage is better preparation. However, if you're interested in aerial stretching for different reasons, these effects will likely delight you.
- Increased Flexibility – Aerial stretching makes your body more flexible, reduces muscle tension, and enhances everyday mobility. Regular stretching will make everyday activities easier.
- Greater Range of Motion – You'll enjoy increased freedom of movement, and your joints won't feel "stiff." It will be easier to exercise, not just in aerial activities.
- Reduced Injury Risk – Warm and stretched muscles lead to a more efficient body, decreasing the risk of injury and making muscle soreness less bothersome.
- Sleeker Silhouette – Stretching reduces muscle tension and visually slims the body.
- Tension Pain Reduction – Aerial stretching can help alleviate tension-related pain. Aerial yoga, in particular, offers numerous benefits without straining the joints.
Main Page Back to category Blog